20 medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined, shells reserved
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
1 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
1. Place the shrimp shells in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. Let the shells steep in the water.
2. Coat a large, straight sided saute pan with olive oil.
3. Add the garlic and red curry paste.
4. Quickly add the coconut milk and stir to combine.
5. Add the fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest, and juice. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
6. Strain the shrimp shell water through a strainer into a bowl. Measure out 1 cup and add it to the pan.
7. Cook until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of heavy cream. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
8. Cook brown rice according to package.
9. Serve over brown rice.